Friday, May 30

drunk call

A few months ago, one of my coworkers told me about how when he and his friends get smashed, they try to make sure one of them is not super drunk so that he can prevent the others from "drunk calling" their ex-girlfriends or girls that they have crushes on and saying stuff that is ridiculous.

I could've used one of those preventative persons last week.

Tiredness and I make a dynamic combo. After a couple weeks of going to bed late and getting up early, I was both sick and tired. One night I got home late--again--and Jason and I decided it was too late to try to see each other, so we read scriptures over the phone and then I went to bed. I say "we read scriptures" but I mostly fell asleep on the phone--both while Jason was reading and while I was reading. Yes, I fell asleep reading aloud. Incredible. I was wasted.

We said good night, apparently (I have no memory of this) and I fell asleep for realz, with my light on as always. An hour later, Jason looks at his phone and it is on silent but ringing, and it's me calling. It's 1:04 in the morning. He answers: "Hello?" I say an exuberant but slurred "Good MOHRGNING!" He's like, "Um, what do you need? Are you okay?" - totally confused as to why I am calling and not saying anything. I respond, "Mumble mumble mumble mumble." Jason: "Um, what?" Me: "Mumble mummbbblle..." Jason instructed me to go back to bed. "Okay," I say. "Bye!" He looks at his phone confusedly and replies, "Bye..." waits for me to hang up... I do. Conversation over.

The best part is that I remember about 2 seconds of this experience. I remember being on the phone and saying "Good morning." I must have dreamed that it was the next morning and Jason was calling me to wake me up, as usual... but then, how did I grab my phone, open it, and call him? UNKNOWN, my friends. The mystery of being drunk that will never be solved. I have made my first drunk phone call. Drunk on lack of sleep. Drunk on LOVE. Hahahahahaha. I'm a dork.

But it does make for a really funny story.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

That's super funny, reminds me of when you were half asleep on the phone when I was talking to you. But you were at least awake at the beginning of the phone call. Only you could sleep-call someone, next up, sleep-texting...

Lacy said...

Oh, that brings back many memories of you talking in your sleep while in college! I loved it! I wish I talked in my sleep...

Laura, you really should kick the drinking habit before your wedding ;)

Brianne said...

That is too funny. I have heard people talk in their sleep, but not over the phone. I love it.

Tif said...

That's classic, Laura! Love it!

jeanine said...

That is just too funny! I'm going to have to share this story with Rich!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.