Friday, August 21

going dark

I heard this phrase from a friend (well, a facebook friend) today. When her husband gets home from work today, they are "going dark" -- meaning no cell phones, no internet, no facebook -- for the entire weekend. I thought to myself, no big deal. And then I obsessively picked up my phone every 2 minutes to see if anyone had contacted me from the outside world, thus validating my existence. And then I thought to myself, The entire weekend without phone or internet? Could I survive it? Could I even display that kind of self-discipline? Could you?

I think I'm going to try it.

...But not today. :)

4 comments:

jeanine said...

I don't think I could do it! I'm way too addicted to checking my email, blogs, etc.

Tif said...

Totally could. Are you kidding me? It'd mean no one from church could call me or him....oh the joys of being in the EQ and RS presidencies....hmmmmm....maybe this should be our new thing-but not just the weekend. Every day. When he gets home from work it's all done and off. And since we have no home phone....brilliant!

Kylee said...

This summer I work with Apache Native American kids as a child therapist for a wilderness camp. We were so far removed from civilization we didn't have cell/internet reception and in case of an emergency we had a Sat Phone.

I was pretty crazy week after week to be cut off from the world but it is doable--not so much enjoyable!

Kristen said...

yeah, there's no way you could do it. :) Just kidding, but only kind of. I think that sounds like a normal weekend for us, we only get the occasional cell phone call anyway and the computer usually stays off, unless of course there is a sibling chat I haven't forgotten about... :) Guess we're still back in the middle ages, technology-wise. Most of the time, that's just fine with us. Although your blackberry is pretty dang cool.