Friday, November 13

just another friday night at home

The holiday season is also the season where Jason works weekends, so I find myself with extra time to meditate. This is probably good. Random assortment of thoughts:

  • It was 8:30pm, and then, two minutes later, I looked at the clock again, and it was 9:30pm. What? Laundry still at my feet, not folded, workout clothes still on my bed, not worn. Sigh. The internet sucks my life away.
  • Tomorrow my flag football team has its first (and, if won, second) tournament playoff game(s)! Oh how excited I am! This past few weeks of playing has revealed to me not only my inherent competitiveness (thank you, Grandma R), but also the importance of finding something to do outside that is fun when the days become shorter. Also I have increased sympathy for the football players I used to yell at through the screen for dropping the ball. Sometimes you just screw up. You learn from it and life goes on.
  • Why is it that I can only seem to grow out my fingernails during football season?
  • My coworkers and I are doing the 100 pushup challenge. It is kindof hard. I am a wimp.
  • Sometimes, I don't like my job. Sometimes I really do like it. I guess this is normal.
  • A girl at a ward we went to last week told us how she reads the Book of Mormon daily and with it keeps a journal thing which she calls her "Book of Change." She reads and studies and then after/during, she writes at least one thing that day that she will change. After reading, she asks herself the question, "Because of what I have learned today, what can I change to better follow the Christ?" or something to that effect. I loved this idea. I shall begin.
  • I kidnapped Jason last weekend and we went up to Midway and Park City. It was so fun. We ate food, we cycled around, we shopped a bit, we talked a bunch, we kicked up leaves, we looked at tons of stars, we soaked in the hot tub, we slept in. Ahhh. It was perfect. I think this may be a yearly tradition just to give the poor Jasonius a break from his crazy schedule. He works hard at both work and school and both are requiring lots of his time lately... poor dude. Doesn't stop him from putting away the dishes and folding the laundry though (two of my most hated chores, hence the pile still at my feet), even when I gave him strict instructions to not do housework because he's not got the time. Too bad for me he's disobedient. :)
  • We move on Thanksgiving weekend to the condo! Hopefully. Appraisal expected Mondee or Tuesdee. Hopefully. Sigh, why is patience so hard? ha.
  • Someday, I want to be good at growing plants. I think I can learn.
  • I also want to be good at acquiring free appliances, like washers. The condo's washing machine conveniently broke 2 weeks before move in date. Ah well.
  • If you could meet one person from history, who would it be? I might choose Abigail Adams. I think she was a champion.
  • Which is better, buying a couch on craigslist or getting it on the cheaps at the RC willey outlet?
  • On our way home from the romantical kidnapping weekend, Jason and I had a big fight. Haha, what a way to end the romantic weekend eh? Driving down the canyon and we're not speaking to each other. Fabulous. It was about unmet expectations (which were uncommunicated, because they weren't realized...bound to happen. of course they were mine.) which led to frustration. Folks, don't discuss important questions over instant messaging and email. This is no good. Lesson learned, life goes on.
  • Apparently I have an issue with feeling like I'm not in control of things. Hahaha, yeah. I do.
  • As I get older, I find that I think more often before I speak. However, this is not always the case. My immediate reaction to something my coworker said the other day was, "That's dumb." Wow, I am awesome at positive reinforcement!
  • I'm real glad for the Atonement.
  • ...And the time of year to remember it! Yay for Christmas! And pandora.com because I can listen to Bing and Ella and Perry Como all day and not pay a dime. I still love technology.
  • Sometimes people I care a lot about are going through really hard times, and I don't know about it. Today was one of those days where I found out about really hard times going on in the life of a friend. Life is hard sometimes. I think it's meant to be that way, but oh how much we need each other. I need you people.
  • Sometimes I have some hard times, and I don't really tell anybody about it. I'm glad for folks that point me to lasting sources of strength. Thanks, dudes.

End random assortment of thoughts. The Jason returneth. He has a surprise. I hope it's a puppy.

postscript: It's not a puppy. It's a cd with MP3s of General Conference. Just as good.

13 comments:

Cheryl and William said...

I'm just like you Laura- I'm at home tonight on the Internet while William is still at work :-) I wish that we were in Utah with you so that we could hang out together. At least we can virtually :-) I'm so glad that you posted- I had been wondering what you have been up to. And you are incredible for going out for the sporting events!! You go girl!

Talyn said...

Ah stink! Kevin had an EQ activity tonight and I was thinking of all of my single girlfriends to hang out with. They were all busy. We should have gotten together!

Just Us said...

I learned many things from this post that I didn't know, therefore I loved it. First of all, you are moving? Are you buying the aforementioned condo? Where is it found? I will keep my ears open for a free washing machine. I would say buying a couch on craiglist (well ksl is way better) is awesome. Just ask if they are smoking or not and if they have pets. Pictures tell the rest usually. Also, I didn't know that Jason was going to school. Honestly, apparently I don't know anything about your current life. So we should get together sometime. love ya and love the honesty of this lovely post.

trentathon said...

That post was awesomeness at its finest. Loved it

jeanine said...

*sigh* This post made me miss you!

Melissa said...

A puppy would be fun! If you had a yard. Does this condo have a yard? Do you have pictures of said condo?

Lisa Marie said...

a) I have done both craiglist and RC Willey... Both are fabulous but craigslist was cheaper.

b) Husbands that do laundry have a place saved for them in the celestial kingdom.

c) If you want a dog you can have mine!

d) I think you are pretty much the opposite of a wimp. I think you might be my hero... at least a good example when it comes to the push ups and the work out clothes.

e) Are you going to play soccer after you finish football? I will if you will!

Julie Radmall said...

Thanks for the post Laura- it's fun to "hear" your thoughts and what you've been up to. What's the 100 pushup challenge? Be able to do 100 pushups? And where are you moving?

Laura said...

Cheryl--yes, let's virtually hang out. :) Maybe we can virtually go see a movie together sometime? (You see it, I see it, we chat later?) That would be creative!

Talyn--next time! And holy cow, you are a trouper for coming out to our football game in the snow. I hope you didn't freeze yo'selves. It took approximately 1 hour for me to gain back all feeling in my fingers. BRRRR.

Fiskita--yes, we move! To Bountiful. And we buy the condo. It is our investment property future. I am telling myself that it is ok that we didn't get a house, because someday, this condo will pay our future mortgage. Hopefully. Someday. Thanks for the online shopping tips! I know you are a Master. Capital M. And yes, let's get together sometime. Please? In January? You pick the day. I haven't seen you since, like, 2006. That's loco.

Trent--why, thank you. :)

Jeanine--I miss you, too. And I love that you conduct interviews with your children. You are cool.

Melissa--photos are available, I shall point you to them. Maybe I shall actually take some. Hey, want to help me paint my condo sometime? If it is ever acquired?

Lisa Marie--I didn't know Marie was your middle name! I love it. I may actually address you by your two names now. Is that ok? It might just have to happen. (a) gracias! (b) agreed. (c) really? is it nice? can I put it on layaway? (d) wow, I am a workout hero! I'll tell that to the rest of the pushups I haven't done yet. (e) YES! I am playing! Mostly because they told me you were. :) This will rule.

Julie--100 pushup challenge found

here.
And yep, moving to Bountiful! Not so far away. Phew.

Mike said...

I'm pretty sure that Trisha and I have had a very similar fight about expectations going down parleys canyon! Thats way funny, I laughed way hard. Good luck with the new condo!!

Kristen said...

yep, she's related to me. Am I lucky or what? Ps, good luck with the moving craziness!

Laura said...

Mike--ha! That's comforting. And funny. :) I think more people fight about expectations than probably want to admit it. But it's a normal part of friendship. ANYWAY. Did you guys get your house? Maybe we're moving at the same time?

Kristen--I think I am the lucky one. :) You are the best older sister. Yay for 2 months until we come visit!

stacy said...

Laura, you are indeed oh so random, for which I love! I have to tell you I was shocked you and Jason had a tiff. For some dang reason you guys have seemed like the perfect couple (you still are) but by that I assumed you never fought or had disagreements, etc. haha! I know the saying goes if you think someone is perfect you just don't know them that well. Anyway, I was grateful for your honesty because it makes me feel like I have a chance. Totally right there with you on the uncommunicated (ok, just not verbally) expectations. Dr. John Lund's cd talks all about that and that has helped us a lot although I still need help, always will! Content communicate!! LOL! I am excited for this said condo. Did I ever email you back about decorating? Cant remember now...