Tuesday, June 29

i knew i was getting old.

... but when the girl I tutor didn't understand my Chris Farley tribute when studying El Nino, I knew I was seriously getting up there.

Here are some pics from my fab 28th birthday:

Jason took me on a surprise hot air balloon adventure!
Jason + hot air balloon = dreams come true


I just kinda wanted to stay home on my birthday this year (another sign of aging).
Jason made us some delicious salmon for dinner. YUM.


Then we made a delicioso strawberry shortcake cake, courtesy of the Pioneer Woman.
(Warning: this recipe is RIDICULOSO sweet. Even for my sugar-lovin' teeth.)





When The Pioneer Woman says to use a pan that is at least 2" deep, she means it.
We had a little extra donut of cake that fell off. But Jason ate it. YUM.


Happy Birthday to me!


28 for reals?


Thank you Leah Claire for the lovely necklace...
and all friends and family for your gifts and cards and calls.
You made my day extra-special happy.


July is jam-packed with fun: visits from family, family reunion, and a trip to Honduras. Oh, I can't wait. Not to mention (!) a nephew will be joining us sometime mid-month. How mucho exciting! I am way excited as I have been particularly lonely for family lately. Adjusting to life in Utah has been a bit tough on me as it seems that most folks who live in Utah also have immediate family who also lives here. I have some aunts and uncles here, but nobody close by that I could just pop in on. I find that the best friends I make here are folks who also don't have any family around... and in my new ward, so far that is nobody. Not to complain! I am feeling like we are fitting in well in our ward, and we are where we are supposed to be. I am just saying that sometimes I get pretty lonely around these parts. Maybe I should get a dog.

In other news, neither the USA nor Honduras made it in the World Cup, super big bummer. And this weekend is going to be a blast with a little mini-reunion of some folks I taught with at the MTC, and my sister and her husband coming to visit with their kids. I have the pool noodles and popsicles ready! Let's have a party!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Hmm.. so we are only a couple years apart but I wouldn't have gotten the El Niño tribute either. So.. maybe you're not old, just weird. Hehe!

jeanine said...

Oh El Niño... so funny! Rich would run into the same problem all the time when he was YM pres. He'd been telling some story or making some analogy and the YM would be looking at him like he was crazy. And my YW didn't even know who Calvin and Hobbes are! Sad sad world.

Looks like you have a busy, fun summer ahead of you!

Christie said...

I LOVE Chris Farley. you're not getting older just better! oh and happy birthday!

yours truly said...

happy birthday, old lady. ;P

Brandon & Michelle said...

Laura, if you're ever in the Provo area, know that you are free to pop in at the Garner's house any time!

lisa midge said...

I miss you and wish that NYC was closer to SLC so that I could pop by. I miss the House on the Hill in Watertown and the ability to pop there was. Happy very belated birthday. Love you dearly friend.

JoeKatie said...

I know what you mean about Utah. We have been here for 2 years and no friends. I mean, who wouldn't want to be my friend? It is so true about EVERYONE having family around.
We can get together if you want, I found your blog off of Meridith's.

Happy late b-day!

Katie (Kendall)Cummins